Even if they seem like obstacles, we can exploit them for our own benefit.
Unlike most moths, his head, torso, limbs and abdomen are coloured cyan blue. He has navy blue wings with gold highlights that he uses as a cloak of sorts over his body, as well as a fluffy gold collar around his neck. Like most bugs, he has a pair of black antennae atop his head.
When Leif was alive, his head, torso, limbs, abdomen and wings were the same red instead of different shades of blue (Body is cyan, wings are navy blue) with the same gold highlights and collar, and his eyes were a light brown color, instead of white. He is shown wearing his wings like a cloak when he was alive.
Leif presents himself as well-mannered and polite, speaking in a royal "We" instead of using "I". He is also known to be knowledgeable and intelligent, as he suggests several means of traversing Snakemouth Den. However, he is also quite blunt and often inconsiderate of the feelings of others, as exemplified in the demo when he suggests to Kina the possibility that her brother, Maki, left her to get some space from her.
Despite this bluntness, he is shown to be loyal to those he trusts, namely Team Snakemouth. Despite his stoic facade, however, Leif is shown to have a weak spot towards domesticated bugs like Aphids or even towards smaller characters such as Tanjerin, often calling them "cute".
Due to strange circumstances surrounding his time in the magic-drenched Snakemouth Den, Leif is able to utilize ice magic. He is also shown to have literacy in the Roaches' language.
In the field, Leif can freeze water to form paths and platforms as well as freeze enemies to bounce around and use to solve puzzles. He can also create a shield that protects the party from hazards, and the shield can first strike an enemy in the overworld when they make contact, eventually he also learns to hover by carrying himself (and any other followers if present) on a block of ice, but he only does this to follow Vi when she flies as the party leader.
In battle, Leif acts as the party's mage. He is able to freeze enemies for a short period of time and deals 1 extra damage against plant-like enemies. Upon hitting a frozen enemy, it will deal extra damage. He is also able to increase the damage or defense to the party or decrease enemies' damage or defense. He owns the most move medals in the game.
- Icefall (starting skill)
- Frigid Coffin (learn at rank 6)
- Bubble Shield Lite (learn at chapter 3)
- Bubble Shield (learn at chapter 3)
- Ice Rain (during Leif's Request)
- Cleanse (learn at rank 13)
- Charge Up (requires the Charge Up medal)
- Enfeeble (requires the Enfeeble Medal)
- Empower (requires the Empower medal)
- Break (requires the Break medal)
- Fortify (requires the Fortify medal)
- Charge Up+ (requires the Charge Up+ medal)
- Enfeeble+ (requires the Enfeeble+ medal)
- Empower+ (requires the Empower+ medal)
- Break+ (requires the Break+ medal)
- Fortify+ (requires the Fortify+ medal)
For a detailed description of Leif's history, see Leif/History.
- Before the v0.5 round up video, Leif's name was "Moth".
- Leif has the most skill medals in the game, with 10. 5 of them being stronger variants of some of his others.
- An uncommon glitch in the demo occurs when selecting the HP bonus during a rank up before Leif joins. Leif will not share the HP bonus and will be permanently locked out of attaining his maximum possible HP.
- While in Snakemouth Den, in Chapter 1: A Dysfunctional Trio, Kabbu mentions to Vi "[turning] over a new leaf" and changing priorities after they rescue Leif. However, despite the developers' decision, Kabbu did not intend the pun, considering he did not know Leif's name yet.
- Leif is technically the 10th known sorcerer, being the first one to appear in a long time.
- According to Mar, the programmer and animator for the game, Leif is over 30 years old.
- Leif is afraid of needles.
- Leif did have a kid with Muse, although he is likely unaware of it.
- His first concept had him as a female moth named Cerice.
- Leif's name is meant to be an anagram for "life".
- Leif is incapable of getting indigestion or any sort of food poisoning caused by over-eating, due to the cordyceps residing in his body digesting food very quickly. He is shown to enjoy eating toxic foods, as shown when talking to Dan in Fry's shop or when inspecting Xic.
- One food that Leif enjoys is Cooked Danger, which contains fungus as the primary ingredient. Similarly, when completing the quest I Want a New Taste, Leif claims he enjoys Hearty Breakfast, which of course, also contains fungus.
- According to Genow, one of the main creators and lead writer for the game, Leif's birthday would be November 2nd, which is All Soul's day. Discord message regarding Leif's birthday</ref>
- Concept art of Leif
- Discord message regarding Leif's age.
- Discord message regarding Leif and needles.
- Discord message regarding Leif's kid.
- Reddit AMA comment regarding Cerise.
- Discord message regarding Cerice.
- Reddit AMA comment regarding Leif's name.
- Reddit AMA comment regarding Leif and food poisoning.