Dead Lander γ are enemies found in Giant's Lair. They are creatures that resembles a horrifying fuse between a spider and hermit crab with a single monstrous eye, huge teeth, and massive, intimidating claw. They aren't directly seen in the overworld, but are instead spawned when Team Snakemouth is caught by the giant eye in the first two rooms, directly above them.
Compared to the other two Dead Lander varieties, the Dead Lander γ are extremely hostile and dangerous to engage if unprepared, and could easily be considered the most difficult basic enemy to encounter for the following reasons:
- They spawn right above Team Snakemouth, and cannot be evaded with typical overworld abilities. Leif's Bubble Shield will not work on them and they immediately thaw out after being frozen, rendering freezing another ineffective method (this is only barely extended with the Extra Freeze medal equipped). They also move very fast and can interact with spring mushrooms. They can be temporarily stunned by Kabbu's Horn Strike or Vi's Beemerang Toss, though both are rather difficult to execute while it gives chase.
- All of their stats are very high, even higher than most mid-stage bosses encountered earlier in the game like Ahoneynation and Dune Scorpion, even on Normal Mode. To name a few difficulties, it moves quite quickly, has rather hard-to-block melee attacks, their Spore attacks can target more than one bug, and in some unfortunate situations, they can even disable the entire party if blocks are badly timed, easily stacking up damage with their other attacks that are high in damage. Status Mirror also doesn't work on them. They are also highly resistant to all status effects, and cannot be frozen in battle. They are thankfully weak to Leif's ice magic in battle, however.
- To have even a remote chance of defeating them, a huge amount of TP will more than likely need be spent using powerful skills. Alternatively, multiple turns may need to be taken, but this allows the party to potentially take insane amounts of damage in the process if they aren't cautious.
- Even if you manage to defeat one, a new one will soon spawn if the giant eye catches you again before you escape its sight, making staying in rooms with them unquestionably risky.
They are overwhelmingly vicious to new or inexperienced players who have just entered this area for the first time, and are quite a nuisance to experienced players as well because of their high stats as a regular endgame enemy, so Team Snakemouth should consider retreat when and if necessary, as this opens a window to escape. However, they have a chance to drop the very rare and potent item Dark Cherries when defeated, which can either be sold for a high price or be used to craft powerful items like a Berry Smoothie, Miracle Shake, or Cherry Pie. Being a very risk equals reward way to obtain them, each set of Dark Cherries would cost Team Snakemouth a pricey 50 Berries elsewhere, which they can instead spend on making more useful things like the Queen's Dinner (assuming all ingredients are bought, which includes spending 40 berries on a single Tangy Berry, 4 on a Honey Drop to be cooked into a Glazed Honey, and 4 on the Bag of Flour, coming to 48 total, which still ultimately saves you two and gives you the best healing item in the game).
Strategies[edit | edit source]
Main Article: Dead Lander γ/Strategies
Spy Log[edit | edit source]
|Bestiary||One of the incomprehensible beasts that lay beyond Bugaria's safe haven. It is too risky to engage, even with a full exploration team. Flee on sight. More information would be too risky to gather.|
|Vi||"I dunno what's scarier, this or the thing that dropped it... M-Maybe we should flee? That claw's super scary, but the spores are trouble too! We gotta be careful!"|
|Kabbu||"What cursed creature could carry these monsters with ease!? We may even need to consider retreating...! We must block those spore missiles, but that claw cannot be ignored, either!"|
|Leif||"By Elizant... Does the thing that dropped this creature see our struggle as a game!? Running may be a good idea...Tch. This thing's got powerful melee and ranged attacks. We'll have to give it our all."|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- They share the same bestiary entry with the other two Dead Landers.
- In some rare occasions, a Dead Lander γ can be frozen for quite a period of time, such as being frozen on a ledge of a platform, where they'll be considered as in mid-air and will not thaw out.
- All Dead Landers are weak to ice, suggesting that they're at least partially plantlike.
- A parallel can be drawn between these monsters and the ones encountered in the late stages of Squaresoft's classics like Final Fantasy V and VII, wherein Team Snakemouth explores a massive volcanic cavern or a sunken plane on the ocean floor respectively, and encounters incredibly powerful, horrifying abominations in both that can slaughter the party in an instant.